Feb. 13, 2004

More Information



Contact: Peg Sampson, Audio-Reader, (785) 864-2686; Janet Campbell, Audio-Reader, (785) 864-4603.

Donating vehicle helps support Audio-Reader at KU

LAWRENCE - Now people can get rid of an old car, get a tax deduction and help Audio-Reader at the University of Kansas all at the same time.

Audio-Reader, a reading service for the blind and print-disabled, recently joined the Vehicles for Charity (VFC) program to provide another meaningful way for individuals to financially support Audio-Reader. Donors may call VFC's toll-free number (877) 308-2408, with the car's title and mileage in hand. VFC will arrange to pick up and auction the car, with Audio-Reader receiving 60 percent of the net proceeds. The other 40 percent goes to a Denver charity that serves the disabled.

"We will be honored to receive vehicle donations from anyone," said Janet Campbell, director of Audio-Reader. "Yet we also believe that this program provides a meaningful opportunity for individuals who are no longer able to drive due to a loss of vision. Now they can choose to donate their car to an organization that directly benefits them."

Boats, trucks, RVs and motorcycles also may be donated to benefit Audio-Reader.

"Vehicles for Charity offers donors a convenient alternative to trading in a car, provides a tax-deductible donation and financially supports a worthwhile cause," Campbell said.

Audio-Reader provides special broadcasts of current books, magazines and newspapers via closed-circuit radio and touch-tone phone. To find out more about Audio-Reader or donating a vehicle for charity, call Audio-Reader at (785) 864-4600 or (800) 772-8898, or visit the Audio-Reader Web site, reader.ku.edu.

-30-



This site is maintained by University Relations, the public relations office for the University of Kansas Lawrence campus. Information may be reused without permission; images may be reused with notice of copyright but not altered.

 • Contact us: kurelations@ku.edu | (785) 864-3256 | 1314 Jayhawk Blvd., Lawrence, KS 66045