Skip redundant pieces
KU Home  :  KU News

KU News Release

More Information

Contact

University Relations

p (785) 864-3256
f (785) 864-3339
March 13, 2006
Contact: Todd Cohen, University Relations, (785) 864-8858.

Photo Gallery

Back to press release

Templin Hall, near 15th Street, lost an air-conditioning unit from its roof, and several cars in parking lots around it were damaged.

Storm debris litters Daisy Hill near 15th and Iowa streets, site of five residence halls.

Bleachers at Arrocha Softball Stadium and the Jayhawk Soccer Complex, near Hoglund Baseball Stadium and Oliver Hall, were damaged.

The roof of Allen Fieldhouse had some damage too.

The roofs of the Computer Services Facility and the adjacent Robinson Health and Physical Education Center on Sunnyside Avenue were seriously damaged.

Robinson Center is east of Allen Fieldhouse at the intersection of Naismith Drive and Sunnyside.

Malott Hall, on the southern slope of Mount Oread, houses the School of Pharmacy, the departments of chemistry and physics and astronomy, and many specialty laboratories.

Anschutz Library, south of Budig Hall/Hoch Auditoria and east of the Art and Design Building, houses scientific and technology libraries and collections and is a Regional Federal Depository for U.S. documents.

Murphy Hall, especially its west face and the roof over Swarthout Recital Hall, was damaged. The brick and stone building at 15th Street and Naismith Drive houses music, dance and theater studios, technical shops and theaters, and the School of Fine Arts deanís office.

The roof of the Art and Design Building was damaged. The brick building is connected by a glass walkway to the 1909 Marvin Hall, where windows were broken and other damage sustained. The buildings are north of Murphy Hall at the west end of the main campus.

Heavy red roof tiles on Snow Hall, north of Marvin Hall on Jayhawk Boulevard, were peeled off by the 70-mph winds.

The collegiate Gothic-style Watson Library, built in 1924 on Jayhawk Boulevard, is named for longtime university librarian Carrie M. Watson.

Most of the roof tiles at Danforth Chapel, Jayhawk Boulevard and 14th Street, were stripped in the high winds, and several nearby large trees were destroyed. More than 5,000 weddings have been held in the Gothic Revival chapel, opened in 1946.

By midday Monday, progress had been made in clearing storm debris and damaged trees. The chancellorís residence, known as the Outlook, sustained some damage to its roof, as did nearby Blake and Fraser halls.

The Outlook was built in 1912 by philanthropist Elizabeth M. Watkins and her husband, a Lawrence banker and investor. She willed the building to KU in 1939.

Distinctive red roof tiles were typical of Dyche Hall and other early university buildings. Dyche, on Jayhawk Boulevard near 14th Street, houses the Museum of Natural History, and its tower has made it a campus landmark.

Dyche Hall is one of five buildings on the main campus listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

The press box at Memorial Stadium sustained minor damage, but trees around the stadium and in nearby Marvin Grove were split and uprooted.

On Monday morning, Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius and Chancellor Robert Hemenway used a Blackhawk helicopter to survey damage from the March 12 windstorm.

Chancellor Hemenway and Gov. Sebelius held a press conference at Lawrence Municipal Airport after touring the Lawrence campus by helicopter.

-30-

The University of Kansas is a major comprehensive research and teaching university. University Relations is the central public relations office for KU's Lawrence campus.

kunews@ku.edu | (785) 864-3256 | 1314 Jayhawk Blvd., Lawrence, KS 66045