Skip redundant pieces
KU Home  :  KU News

KU News Release

March 16, 2006
Contact: Lynn Bretz, University Relations, (785) 864-8866.

Damage assessment on March 12 storm

All assessments are as of 5 p.m. March 15 and are preliminary and incomplete. The full scope of damage may not be known until permanent repair work begins. Total damage is likely in the $6 million to $7 million range.

DAMAGE TO STRUCTURES

Building Category Damage Clean Up Cost
Academic and Research facilities $4,504,000 $95,300
Athletic facilities 215,000
Student Housing 428,000
Kansas Union 20,000
TOTAL $5,167,000 $95,300

NOTABLE EXAMPLES

Art and Design roof $400,000
Bailey Hall roof $150,000
Computing Services roof $225,000
Dyche Hall roof $500,000
Fraser Hall roof/windows $350,000
Green Hall roof $225,000
Murphy Hall roof $200,000
Robinson Center roof $500,000
Snow Hall roof $180,000
Gertrude Sellards Pearson roof $200,000
Templin roof $70,000

Generalization: Extent of roof damage directly related to age of roof. Deferred maintenance directly resulted in increased storm damage.

MISCELLANEOUS DAMAGE

  • 17 university-owned vehicles damaged (mostly broken glass).
  • 100 trees completely destroyed and many more damaged.
  • Damage to computing systems and data collections not yet fully assessed.
  • Damage to research specimens due to extended period without refrigeration not yet fully assessed.
  • Damage to fume hood ducting as vacuum created by storm collapsed ducts.

STATUS OF REPAIRS

  • Danger removed.
  • All buildings back in service except for major portions of Robinson Center and all of Danforth Chapel.
  • 17 external contracts have been let for repairs and work is under way.
  • Debris removed from streets and sidewalks; removal from lawns is under way.

 

BUILDING DESCRIPTIONS:


ART AND DESIGN, 1467 Jayhawk Blvd
Built in 1977, the building houses design, painting, printmaking, sculpture, ceramics, industrial and interior design, weaving, metalsmithing/jewelry and printing studios and labs; faculty and staff offices in art and design; and a faculty/student exhibition gallery.
 
BAILEY HALL, 1440 Jayhawk Blvd.
Built in 1900, the Oread limestone building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2001. Bailey now houses several College of Liberal Arts and Sciences programs, including the Department of Communication Studies; African and African-American, American and European studies; African, East Asian, Latin American, and Russian and East European studies centers; humanities and Western civilization; and women’s studies.
 
COMPUTER SERVICES FACILITY, 1001 Sunnyside Ave.
Built in 1978, it houses several information technology services, including the help desk; repair, training, coaching and support services; data processing and management services; academic and Web enterprise services; and technical and security services.
 
DYCHE HALL (NATURAL HISTORY MUSEUM), 1345 Jayhawk Blvd.
Built in 1901, it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. Architects used the Venetian Romanesque style characteristic of southern European churches of 1050-1200. The limestone building, distinguished by a steep-roofed tower, arched doorway and elaborate stone ornamentations of natural and fantastic animals and plants. It houses the Biodiversity Institute, comprising the Natural History Museum and Biodiversity Research Center and divisions including botany, entomology, herpetology, ichthyology, informatics, vertebrate paleontology, mammalogy and ornithology.
 
FRASER HALL, 1415 Jayhawk Blvd
Built in 1967,  it has seven stories and is on the highest point on Mount Oread.  It houses the anthropology, sociology and psychology departments; the clinical, experimental and social psychology and somatopsychology rehabilitation divisions; the Psychological Clinic; the Survey Research Center; classrooms; a reading room; and faculty, staff and administrative offices.
 
GREEN HALL, 1535 W. 15th St.
Built in 1977, it houses the School of Law administrative and faculty offices; class and seminar rooms and moot courtrooms; the Legal Aid Clinic; Career Services and other student services; the Raymond F. Rice Reading Room; the Wheat Law Library; and the student publications Kansas Law Review and the Kansas Journal of Law and Public Policy.
 
MURPHY HALL, 1530 Naismith Drive.
Built in 1957, a $9.8 million addition was completed in 2001. It houses the offices of the dean of the School of Fine Arts; the music and dance department of the School of Fine Arts and the Department of Theatre and Film of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences; faculty and staff offices; costume and stage shops; rehearsal rooms; teaching studios; a recording studio; and music therapy labs.
 
ROBINSON CENTER, 1301 Sunnyside Ave.
Built in 1966,  a $6 million addition was completed in 1980. It houses the School of Education’s Department of Health, Sport and Exercise Sciences; faculty and staff offices; biokinetic, kinesiology and physiology labs; classrooms and multipurpose rooms; dance studios; and lifetime sports facilities. It also has locker rooms, showers, weight rooms, a natatorium and other facilities for faculty and staff.
 
SNOW HALL, 1460 Jayhawk Blvd.
Built in 1930, Indiana limestone building features a modified Collegiate Gothic style. Wings were added on the north in 1950 and 1958; a major renovation in 1989-90 converted the 1958 addition to classrooms and offices and added new space for the Snow Entomological Museum.  It houses the departments of botany, zoology, entomology and bacteriology; Snow’s renowned entomological collection; the botanical collection; classrooms; and labs.
 
GERTRUDE SELLARDS PEARSON HALL, 500 W. 11th St.
Built in 1955, GSP now forms a single living unit with adjacent Corbin Hall, 420 W. 11th St., and shares a dining center and Academic Resource Center. Together they house about 720 women, primarily freshmen.
 
TEMPLIN HALL, 1515 Engel Road
The seven-story residence hall was built in 1959 and was extensively remodeled in 1997 into single, two- and four-person suites for 274 men and women. In 1998 the cafeteria/dining hall was renovated and expanded for use as the Visitor Center and the Office of Admissions and Scholarships.
 
More information about these and other campus buildings is available online at
www.buildings.ku.edu

-30-

The University of Kansas is a major comprehensive research and teaching university. University Relations is the central public relations office for KU's Lawrence campus.

kunews@ku.edu | (785) 864-3256 | 1314 Jayhawk Blvd., Lawrence, KS 66045