KU News Release
Nov. 29, 2011
Contact: Jack Martin, Office of Public Affairs, 785-864-7100
Refrigerator identified as apparent cause of Malott lab fire
LAWRENCE – A fire that occurred Saturday morning in a medicinal chemistry laboratory on the fifth floor of Malott Hall was likely caused by a refrigerator that overheated.
The point of origin for the fire appeared to be the condenser and condensation tray on the back of the refrigerator, according to investigators from Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical and the KU Public Safety Office. No criminal activity is suspected, and there were no injuries.
Fire damage was confined to the lab, with water from the response causing some damage to labs on the two floors below. The building was open for classes Monday.
An estimated cost of the damage has not yet been determined.
The University of Kansas is a major comprehensive research and teaching university. University Relations is the central public relations office for KU's Lawrence email@example.com | (785) 864-3256 | 1314 Jayhawk Blvd., Lawrence, KS 66045