KU News Release
Sept. 9, 2011
Contact: Gavin Young, Public Affairs, 785-864-7100
Provost announces changes to Student Success units
LAWRENCE – Units currently under the Office of the Vice Provost for Student Success will be realigned to increase efficiency based on recommendations of the strategic planning process, KU Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor Jeffrey Vitter announced today.
The new model, which will no longer include an Office of the Vice Provost for Student Success, also will more closely align student services with academic services. Major changes include:
• Individual units will be realigned to better reflect their similar missions, and new units will be aligned under
- vice provost for student affairs
- vice provost for enrollment management
- vice provost for diversity and equity
- A future vice provost for undergraduate education.
• To increase efficiency, business processes, communications and data and analytics will have a larger mission to serve not only the units formerly under Student Success but also those within the Office of the Provost.
• At least three positions will go unfilled: associate vice provost for academic and student life, an assistant vice provost position and the business manager for the provost’s office as Jason Hornberger will assume the overall business functions.
New and interim leadership is in place to move forward:
• Matt Melvin will become vice provost for enrollment management in order to play a larger campus-wide role. He previously served as associate vice provost for recruitment and enrollment.
• Kathryn Nemeth Tuttle will serve as special adviser to the provost. She and fellow special adviser Chris Haufler will lead the team in implementing the goals of the strategic plan that integrate those areas with academic affairs. Tuttle will manage and oversee a number of academic services including the University Advising Center. In the future, these two positions will be replaced by a vice provost for undergraduate education.
• Tammara Durham, associate vice provost, will serve as interim vice provost for student affairs. A search will commence at a later date to fill the position permanently.
• The vice provost for student affairs and future vice provost for undergraduate education will report to current senior vice provost for academic affairs Sara Rosen.
• Marlesa Roney, who has ably served as vice provost for student success, announced earlier this year that she intends to step down as vice provost to become a professor of practice in the School of Education in January 2012. In the interim, she will be working on building up recruiting efforts.
“I deeply appreciate the fine work and long hours that the many staff members in Student Success contribute to the life of this university,” Vitter said. “This new structure will put KU in position to adopt some of the ‘Changing for Excellence’ recommendations as well as meet the goals of our strategic plan.”
The University of Kansas is a major comprehensive research and teaching university. University Relations is the central public relations office for KU's Lawrence email@example.com | (785) 864-3256 | 1314 Jayhawk Blvd., Lawrence, KS 66045