KU News Release
September 12, 2012
Contact: Lisa Webster, Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center, 620-694-1505
Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center announces August graduates
YODER – Kansas Bureau of Investigation Director Kirk Thompson congratulated 36 new law enforcement officers during their graduation from the Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center on Aug. 24.
The new officers were members of the 219th basic training class at the center. Located one mile west and one mile south of Yoder, near Hutchinson, the center is a division of University of Kansas Continuing Education.
The graduates, who began their training May 14, represented 27 municipal, county and state law enforcement agencies from across Kansas.
Graduates receive certificates of course completion from KLETC and Kansas law enforcement certification from the Kansas Commission on Peace Officers’ Standards and Training, the state’s law enforcement licensing authority. The training course fulfills the state requirement for law enforcement training.
Classroom lectures and hands-on applications help train officers to solve the increasingly complex problems they face in the line of duty.
Established by the Kansas Legislature in 1968, the center trains the majority of municipal, county and state law enforcement officers in Kansas and oversees the training of the remaining officers at seven authorized and certified academy programs operated by local law enforcement agencies and the Kansas Highway Patrol.
About 300 officers enroll annually in the 14-week basic training program. In 2010, the center offered continuing education and specialized training to more than 5,600 Kansas officers. Funding for the training center is generated from court docket fees from municipal and state courts. No funds from the state’s general revenue are used to operate the center.
Graduates who granted permission to release their names are listed below by agency.
• Abilene Police Department; Shane C. Wilson; patrol officer; Abilene
• Bonner Springs Police Department; John-Francisco A. Marino; patrol officer; Bonner Springs
• El Dorado Police Department; Zebulon S. LaClef; patrol officer; El Dorado
• El Dorado Police Department; Garren K.D. Mitchell; patrol officer; El Dorado
• El Dorado Police Department; Michael G. Moore; patrol officer; El Dorado
• El Dorado Police Department; Joel C. Sibley; patrol officer; El Dorado
• Elkhart Police Department; Rachele Lebeda; patrol officer; Elkhart
• Emporia Police Department; Pablo D. Delgadillo; patrol officer; Emporia
• Emporia Police Department; Morgan S. Hamilton; patrol officer; Emporia
• Emporia Police Department; Eduardo Perez; patrol officer; Emporia
• Ford County Sheriff’s Office; Stephanie A. Bullmer; deputy; Dodge City
• Fort Hays State University Police Department; Kody J. Ellis; police officer; Hays
• Franklin County Sheriff’s Office; Hunter J. Dryden; deputy; Ottawa
• Gardner Police Department; Wayne H. Bland III; patrol officer; Gardner
• Hutchinson Police Department; Kodi D. Siroky; patrol officer; Hutchinson
• Hutchinson Police Department; Jamin A. Raigoza; patrol officer; Hutchinson
• Hutchinson Police Department; Adam J. Weishaar; patrol officer; Hutchinson
• Kansas Dept. of Wildlife, Parks & Tourism; Bryan G. Sorenson; Assistant Area Manager; St. Paul
• Leavenworth Police Department; Damon M. Manderscheid; patrol officer; Leavenworth
• Metropolitan Topeka Airport Authority; Brandon R. Best; officer; Topeka
• Miami County Sheriff’s Department; Daniel L. Budenz; deputy; Paola
• Mound City Police Department; Larry D. Maloney; officer; Mound City
• Osborne County Sheriff’s Department; Marcus L. Betzold; patrol officer; Osborne
• Parsons Police Department; Keith C. Turner; patrol officer; Parsons
• Phillips County Sheriff's Department; Garrett T. Becker; deputy; Phillipsburg
• Pottawatomie County Sheriff’s Office; Allen J. Slater; deputy; Westmoreland
• Pratt County Sheriff’s Department; Cole C. Schmidtberger; deputy; Pratt
• Reno County Sheriff’s Office; Jonathon P. Diaz; deputy; Hutchinson
• Reno County Sheriff’s Office; Theodore D. Smith; deputy; Hutchinson
• Russell County Sheriff’s Office; Scott A. Axtell; deputy; Russell
• Tonganoxie Police Department; Jason R. Colobong; patrol officer; Tonganoxie
• Wellington Police Department; Jared M. Hedge; patrol officer; Wellington
• Wichita State University Police Department; Joseph P. Myers; patrol officer; Wichita
• Winfield Police Department; Jesse H. Smith; patrol officer; Winfield
• Wyandotte County Sheriff’s Department; Charles Lyles; deputy; Kansas City
The University of Kansas is a major comprehensive research and teaching university. University Relations is the central public relations office for KU's Lawrence email@example.com | (785) 864-3256 | 1314 Jayhawk Blvd., Lawrence, KS 66045